On the Go

My photo
Saddle Brook, Northern New Jersey, United States
I have been a runner since the Sixth grade when I joined my Intermediate School's Cross Country Team. That was 28 years ago. I'm not fast, but I do enjoy the motion and scenery of the courses I travel. I do race and finish somewhere with the mid-packers. In 1996 I did my first Marathon, Bermuda with the Leukemia Society's Team In Training group. Now I try to do at least one marathon a year with a few exceptions. The best thing about running for me is how it makes me feel. I feel great getting out there, inventing new courses,the sites,sounds,and smells,pushing yourself further than the time before, makes me so alive.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Alternate Layering systems for those winter runs

Running in cold winter weather can be tough. What to wear, tights or sweats? I have been on too many cold runs where I have froze in the begining, warmed up, then froze again because the clothing got wet, then frosty because it couldn't wick away the moisture build up. Layering is the key and usually tights made from lycra, nylon, spandex, polyoelfin, or other technical fibers are much better than cotton based sweats because cotton based clothing holds onto moisture and does not let your skin evaporate the excess water (sweat). The down side with tights, at least with me is that they tend to give me cold drafts where the tops and bottoms meet, especially when I'm wearing my water system (camelbak.com). Another idea is to wear a dive skin. They come in a variety of thicknesses and are mainly used for water sports such as snorkeling, surfing, warm water scuba diving or as a base layer to be worn under a wet suit for colder water dives. As for runners, a 2mm or under neopreme(or lycra material, some are combinations) body suit or skin will give you plenty of warmth, no drafts and lots of flexibility without all the bulk. I had one for many years and did my long runs and winter track workouts in it as well. So if you don't want to look like a speed skater, diver or a super hero, put on your extra large snuggly sweat shirt (and pants). Stay warm, stay dry, and keep in motion this winter. Some suggestions where you can find a dive skin: CEDAR GROVE DIVERS SUPPLY 492 POMPTON AVE, RT #23 CEDAR GROVE, NJ 07009 Phone: (973) 857-1748Fax: (973) 857-9244http://WWW.CEDARGROVEDIVERS.COM Map It --> SEA DWELLERS OF NJ 132 A BROADWAY HILLSDALE, NJ 07642Phone: 201-358-0009http://WWW.SEADWELLERSNJ.COM Map It --> RAMSEY OUTDOOR 240 ROUTE 17 NORTH PARAMUS, NJ 07652Phone: 201-261-5000Map It --> CAMPMOR 810 ROUTE 17 NORTH PARAMUS, NJ 07652Phone: 201-445-5000 http://www.campmor.comMap It --> BLUE WATER DIVERS 201 ROUTE 17 SOUTH ROCHELLE PARK, NJ 07662Phone: 201-843-3340http://WWW.bluewaterdivers.comMap It --> SCUBA NETWORK 205 ROUTE 46 WEST Totowa, NJ 07512Phone: (973) 256-0555Map It SCUBA NETWORK carries the following Henderson products: --> SHARP DIVER SPORTS 60 HAVEN AVE. APT. 14-FNEW YORK, NY 10032Phone: 212-923-0764http://www.sharpdiver.com Map It
Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Useful Links

eastbay.com Championcatalog.com eSportsonline - 15% Off Plus Free Shipping with Flyer Code L1 Shop at Modell's Shop at Modell's mypypeline.com Prep Sportswear LinkShare  Referral  Prg LabelDaddy.com ... Label the things you love !! 15% off any Purchase at GNC.com Vitamin World Buy And Walk GSI Commerce- FogDog Sports FogDog Sports running shoes & apparel 250x250 ExplosiveSq Pop-up

Followers